Different borrowing rules apply to different classes of item.
- Current/Unbound issues of journals: not borrowable.
- Bound journals/Serials: not borrowable, unless prior arrangement has been made with the Assistant Librarian. Borrowing is permitted to allow photographic work to be undertaken.
- Classified Book Section: Up to five items can be borrowed at any one time. The loan period is one week, and this can be renewed up to three times.
- Part I Reference: Up to two items can be borrowed at any one time, on an overnight basis only, ie after 2pm, to be returned by 10am the following day, or after 2pm on Fridays to be returned by 10am on Monday.
- Safety/Scientific/General Reference: not borrowable
Part I students are only allowed to borrow items from the Part I Reference section. In most cases we only have one copy of these textbooks. Part I Students should consult their College Library for further copies.
Note that items can only be borrowed in office hours.
- Present the University ID card to the Assistant Librarian to register
- Take the item/s that you want to borrow together with your University ID card to the Librarian
- An issue card, with the date due back on it, is placed inside the book. This must be returned with the book.
- The book can now be borrowed.
- Return the book to the Librarian, or leave on the 'Book Returns' Trolley.
Inter-Library Loans and photocopies of articles can be obtained by the Librarian from certain other libraries. This facility is only available for members of the Biochemistry Department and Part II/III Biochemistry students.
For items not available in Cambridge, the majority can be supplied from The British Library Document Supply Centre (BLDSC), at Boston Spa, Yorkshire. There is a charge for this service.
The first time that you use the printer from a PC, you need to add the printer to your account by following the below steps:
- Go to Settings at the Start menu, then click on "Printers and Faxes"
- Click "add printer", point to "morigan"
- Set your default printers to "HP Laser Jet P3005X" for b/w printing; and to "HP Laser Jet CP3525X" for colour printing
For double sided printing:
- Go to "Printing Preferences/Properties"
- Click on Finishing
- At "Document Options", drop down the box and choose the option desired (eg: print on both sides etc)
Please note that when an option is selected, it will remain until you change it.
At the start of the Lent term, the Part II/III Course Co-ordinator and the Assistant Librarian will determine how many pages of Options Course material may be copied per student without charge. Students' accounts will be credited accordingly.
There are two card-operated photocopiers available for use, and they can be set to do either b/w or colour copies. Cards for students and visitors are available from the Assistant Librarian at £5 for 100 units or £2 for 40 units.
Members of other University of Cambridge Departments can purchase cards using an official purchase order form from their Department.
Photocopying costs 1 unit (5p) per sheet of A4/A3 in black and white, or 2 units (10p) per sheet of A4/A3 in colour.
Further information about photocopying, including Copyright Regulations, is available in the Library.
Inter-library loans / photocopies
Inter-Library photocopies of articles can be obtained by the Librarian from certain other libraries. This facility is only available for members of the Biochemistry Department and Part II/III Biochemistry students.