Book Catalogue for Cambridge
Cambridge University has an online public access catalogue-Newton, which is co-ordinated by the University Library. There are eight databases which detail book holdings in the University and College Libraries.
All of the Colman Library's book stock is included in the Departments and Faculties A-E database.
Books at the main University Library are detailed in the University Library and Dependent Libraries.
There is a help facility on Newton, but if you need further help, please ask the Assistant Librarian.
Classified Books (Main book collection)
This is the main book stock and will include general and specific texts in a number of key subject areas. The books are categorised using an in-house scheme. Within each section, the books are shelved alphabetically by author/editor.
- Howe - Gene cloning and manipulation
- Ptashne - Genes and signals
- Bugg - Introduction to enzyme and coenzyme chemistry
- Haynie - Biological thermodynamics (1st ed)
- Nicholls - Bioenergetics 3
- Hames - Instant notes in biochemistry (2nd ed)
Part I Reference
Undergraduate textbooks and recommended books for MVST IA Biochemistry and Medical Genetics, and NST IB Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. The items are shelved alphabetically by author.
Practical Approach Series
- Click the "Start" button and go to "My Network Places" (WinXP)
- In the toolbar of the resulting window click "Search"
- In the left hand pane under "Computer Name:" type: seshat and click "Search"
- After a short time a window should open with: Sashat Samba PDC 2.2.x
- Double click its icon (if prompted for username/password, just click "OK")
- A window should open containing a folder called "pas": double click this folder and run the "SETUP" program in this folder
- After successful set up, the Practical Approach Series should be available under programs in the Start menu
A small stock which includes general reference books, information related to the University of Cambridge, information on grants and research funding, postgraduate information and language dictionaries.
Assorted items including scientific encyclopaedias and dictionaries, pharmacopoeias, handbooks, tables, formulae, and nomenclatures.
A small collection relating to laboratory and office safety. Items include the University of Cambridge Safety Manual, HSE and HMSO publications. Items are not borrowable. Safety Officers in the Department also have relevant material, and if you are looking for specific information/advice, you should also consult them. In addition, further information is available from the University's Safety Office.