The Colman Library is responsible for the Department's Archives. So far very little work has been undertaken on indexing and cataloguing the collection, but anyone with a genuine interest, either professionally of personally, is welcome to use the collection. The collection consists of:
- Books and publications
- Ephemera, including a scrapbook of newspaper cuttings with the oldest dating back to 1898
- Photographs with the oldest dating back to 1898
- Departmental Publications, including reprints of journal articles with the oldest dating back to 1906
- 'Brighter Biochemistry': the illustrated journal of the Biochemical Laboratory, Cambridge (1923-1931)
- Biographical files
- Material related to the 'First International Congress of Biochemistry', Cambridge (1949)
The collection does NOT include PhD Theses from the Biochemistry Department. These are available at Cambridge University Library.
Cambridge University Library, Department of Manuscripts and University Archives also has material related to the Department of Biochemistry. This includes the papers and correspondence of several Cambridge Biochemists, including Malcolm Dixon, Kenneth Bailey, Robert Hill, A.C. Chibnall, Joseph Needham and Dorothy Needham. Cataloguing of these collections was undertaken by the National Cataloguing Unit for the Archives of Contemporary Scientists (NCUACS).
The Churchill Archives Centre at Churchill College has collections of papers by Philip Randle, Rosalind Franklin and Cesar Milstein.